Our Lodge has been in existence for 88 years working with local and National programs.
In 1925, twenty-six (26) young sports minded men banded together to form an athletic club which became the Silver Bell Club. These men were exclusively a neighborhood group, of Gary, whose residents were predominantly of Polish and Slovak origin. The club's primary objective was to participate in various competitive sports of boxing, baseball, and basketball.
To assure themselves of lasting unity, the club became affiliated with the Polish National Alliance
of North America, the largest Polish fraternal organization in America. To distinguish this Lodge, the membership chose to be chartered by the State of Indiana and thus, was named the "PNA Silver Bell Club, Group # 2365.
In 1944, the Club, leased a building at 1700 Massachusetts Street. It was a great meeting center and after the end of World War II, a place to reunify the neighborhood GI's returning home from military service.
In 1950, the Club purchased the former Gleason Welfare Center.. The Club began to expand with enrollment of
new members and the inclusion of sport activities. In 1955, the first amendment to the Constitution and By-Laws was written and adopted. "To promote the welfare of our brothers and our fellow men; to participate in civic, athletic, social and fraternal activities in our community". By-laws were amended in 1973, allowing female members into the organization.
In 1972, due to relocation of members from the neighborhood, the Club moved its headquarters to the Polish American Center, 39th and Georgia.
In 1974, the President, initiated the first annual "Sports Awards Banquet". Two champion members were honored, Tony Zale, former world middle-weight boxing champ and Hank Stram, former head coach of the super bowl champions, the Kansas City Chiefs. Honorary awards, endorsed by Zale and Stram, were presented to outstanding high school athletes, who excelled in academics and sports.
This sports award program drew crowds from 700 to 900 people to the event. This continuing event features National sports figures, honoring graduating high school students of Polish-Slovak decent.
Between 1972 through 1978, the Club sponsored the Senior League World Series, becoming the leader of Polonia
in Northwest Indiana.
The Club purchased a 50 acre site and hall at 10310 Grand Blvd., in Crown Point, Indiana, in 1997.
A catastrophic fire destroyed the 5,000 square foot hall on Christmas Eve, in 2004. Currently meetings are held
Gary Sportsman's Club
10101 Madison St.
Crown Point, IN
The PNA Lodge # 2431 merged with Silver Bell Club in 2005. In 2008, PNA Lodge # 2947, and in 2009, PNA Lodge #1810 merged with our Club.
The future of the Silver Bell Club has been based on a firm foundation, the goal will be to increase
membership, in order to continue it's fraternal and civic endeavors for the Northwest Community, as well as Polonia.
SILVER BELL CLUB LODGE # 2365